How to Tell If Your Foundation is in Need of Repairs
Los Angeles Foundation Contractor Shares Warning Signs of Foundation Damage
Julian Construction (www.julianconstruction.com), a foundation repair and construction company in Los Angeles, has compiled a checklist that you can use to walk around your house with, to tell if you have any foundation damage issues. If you notice any of the items mentioned, you should contact a foundation contractor to schedule an inspection.
As a homeowner, it can be difficult to tell when something is wrong with your foundation, especially since the early warning signs can be subtle. However, a damaged foundation is very dangerous and it is important to have it inspected regularly to catch and repair damage before it has a chance to get worse.
- Doors and windows that have shifted and don’t open and close properly. This can be a sign that your foundation has settled.
- Cracks on the outside of your home- especially diagonal ones. If they are small it could be a cosmetic issue, but large cracks are often a sign of a larger problem.
- Nails that have popped out from the wall, indicating that the drywall may be bowing inward or outward.
- Sloping floors. If the floor is gradually sloping less than an inch across the whole foundation, it might not be an issue. However, if your floor has a height difference of more than an inch over 15-20 feet, it is more likely the foundation settling or shifting.
- Gaps between the caulking on windows and doors. This is usually caused by the foundation shifting.
- Patios that have pulled away from your home. This is a sure sign of a shifting or sinking foundation.Wallpaper that has wrinkled or creased. This can be caused by a sinking or shifting foundation, which in turn, causes the walls to shift.
- Sunken floors or foundation. If you notice the ground around your foundation sinking, you could have a big foundation issue on your hands, call for an inspection right away.
If you encounter any of the above problems, you don’t necessarily need to replace your foundation. It is often possible to repair smaller issues and cracks with a strap, epoxy injection or a pad known as an underpin, halting the damage and strengthening your foundation for a safer home.
Julian De La Torre, founder and owner of Julian Construction, stated: “Keeping your home’s foundation in good repair is so important, it’s the first thing we look at when we go to a home with structural problems. And maintaining the foundation will prevent more serious problems from occurring in the future. Always get your home inspected on a regular basis. It’s important for the safety of your home.”
Julian Construction owns its own company and is built on a “no middlemen” model – no salesmen, no subcontractors. When you work with Julian Construction you get the principals of the company and workers of Julian Construction under your home. The result is the highest quality work at affordable prices. They can be contacted by phone at 323 733-3377, by fax at 323 733-4477 or via their website, www.julianconstruction.com. You can see tips and advice about Los Angeles foundation repair on their blog.