Drainage Problems: 5 Signs of a Faulty Drainage System
Drainage issues can cause an array of problems to your home’s interior and exterior. If you own a home, it’s important to know the waring signs of any drainage issues so they can be identified and repaired before serious damage is done.
Check out our 5 signs of drainage problems below!
- Standing water/water settlement: If you’ve noticed standing rainwater in your yard or water settlement near your foundation, these could be signs that you have drainage issues. Standing water can kill your vegetation and even lead to a pest infestation. Plus, it can be extremely damaging to your home’s foundation and eat away at the soil the surrounds the structure, and compromise the strength of the materials used.
- Mold & mildew: Other signs of water intrusion can be seen in your walls in the form of mold and mildew. If you’ve noticed rooms that seem damp or humid, or that have a strange smell, these could be signs of mold, mildew and other harmful growths. It’s important to identify the water leakage and repair the affected areas.
- Cracks near doors and windows: One of the major ramifications of long-term drainage issues is foundation damage. A home’s foundation settles with time, but this process can be exacerbated when there’s damage from outside forces such as water intrusion and drainage issues, shoddy workmanship, and/or outdated/poor building codes and materials. Cracks that appear near doors and windows and in the corner of wall seams can be signs of more serious foundation damage.
- Improperly draining gutters: Improperly draining gutters are an issue that is easy to identify and to remedy when caught early on. If you’ve noticed your gutter system gushing water, splattering mud onto the home, and/or pealing the exterior pain, these can all be signs that your gutter system needs to be cleaned, repaired, or replaced.
- Soil erosion: Heavy rainfall can cause soil erosion to your home’s landscape. When erosion occurs, this can cause your soil levels to be uneven. When the soil becomes eroded near the home’s foundation is can cause the property to settle at an uneven rate. Thus, it’s always a good idea to redirect water away from your property so that it does not erode your soil and settle near your home’s foundation.
If you think your home is in need of foundation repair, foundation replacement and/or earthquake retrofitting, contact Julian Construction today and we will send one of our foundation specialists out to conduct a free, thorough inspection with a quote for repair.
We have extensive experience serving our Los Angeles community and nearby regions. In fact, Julian Construction has inspected over 30,000 structures in the area!
Julian Construction was formed in 1994 and our focus has always been on building foundations, doing foundation repair and replacement, earthquake retrofitting, and house leveling.
When you work with Julian Construction, you get the principles of the company and the workers of Julian Construction under your home.
And in order to keep foundation repair affordable for our customers, we offer a price guarantee — because we know our quote for repair will represent your very best value.
Give us a call at (323) 733-3377 to schedule your free inspection or complete the inspection request form.